La Gomera > Towns
Agulo, a picturesque helmet once the ocean was shown
We left behind Hermigua en route that you follow the northern road and we go up from his valley toward a cliff of precious patches, where the sight deserves to take delight in with a stop any one of the sidings of the road, from where the delta of Hermigua's valley in all his splendor comes into sight . Below that cliff perceives him the group of houses of surrounded Lepe banana plantations, administratively already in Agulo's municipality, but related more to Hermigua since his only access for road comes to it of the beach of this other municipality.
Going across a little bridge, the road places itself on the verge of the picturesque helmet of Agulo, with his three nuclei told apart of The Montañeta, The Houses and The Puddle.
Town of great attraction for his taken care of aspect, the safeguard of his identity, his narrow and paved streets and his tiled houses grouped with the kitchen gardens and cultivations around.
Agulo was founded by colonists' score in 1607. You had in 1680 once his three neighborhoods were configured, The Montañeta, The Puddle and, something remoter, Lepe. The ruin struck this town in 1770, when some very heavy rains took The Puddle's primitive nucleus by the front.
XX, with the implantation came to his bigger prosperity long afterwards, at the beginning of the century of the cultivation of the banana plantation. Prosperity that it enabled him to conclude San Marcos's church, after having been demolished in 1911 by his bad condition of conservation and having suffered a parenthesis in the works during the First World War as a consequence of the sudden stop in the exports,. At Leoncio Bento's plaza, where the church rises, an enormous bay planted in 1906 for Isaías García grows and be the Town Council, place of celebration of parties and activities related to games and cultural.
The inhabitants of the two nuclei of the helmet challenged themselves before in the parties of San Juan and San Pedro had his weapons in the neighbors's imagination to a poetical battle, The Piques to the hour to sing verses.
To some 260 meters above sea level, Agulo rises above a little platform on the verge of a cliff sculptured with ever-present multitude of children and narrow patches, with the silhouette of the island of Tenerife and his peak of the Teide in the horizon.
Between The Montañeta's nuclei and a street splits Houses, after paved clue and, finally, I walk, due toward the cliff. A slope pronounced zag conducts us in zig, crossing the stepped patches still grown, to the same side, place to the one that some neighbors resort to fishing or to catch parrots.
Destroyed for a storm
And there a davit's remains are . Emulating the example of Hermigua's nearby town and under the cover of the prosperity that the exportation of bananas in the XX's first decades brought to the neighbors, The Patriotism with three hundred actions of one hundred pesetas to undertake the work of construction of a davit that could be inaugurated in 1908 created the society itself. The company Fyffes installed a plant of packing that still stands firm with his tall walls. Does not happen the same thing with the davit, the one that only the rest, after his destruction for a storm in 1954, when they already had stopped being used act as .
To the lookout for The Roses
It is necessary to cross another tunnel to come out of Agulo, this time for the north due toward Vallehermoso, although still things to have a good time in this municipal district are left . It takes place to The Roses after a stretch of specially sinuous and ascending road and, successively, there are two left revenues.
Join theirs you reach us to Bolas's Center of Visitantes Juego that we will be able to obtain information on Garajonay's National Park that can be sold off and the guided visits in, place. Downtown a sign of the autochthonous flora, a little ethnographic museum and craft workshops are exhibited. ( telephone: 922 80 09 93 ) we will be able to keep on for the road to Meriga's and Cerpa's nuclei As From Visitantes's Center, or turning to the left and approaching to Abrante's lookout, in the than, if the fog does not impede it, we will have an aerial view of Agulo's town and his three nuclei: The Puddle, primitive settlement; You marry them, close by the previous; And The Montañeta, something outerm ost.
Meat of goat and wine of the north
The other entrance from the arterial highway leads us, in the beginning through, a narrow and very hanging street to the center of The Roses. We found St. Rosa's hermitage of Lima, declared parish church in 1967 at an ample terrace that juts out to the road. At route right now toward the following municipality, Vallehermoso, and to the way out of The Roses, a most conventional, equal- name restaurant to the neighborhood, it serves as stop to eat to tourists' excursions, whose guaguas they park in considerable number at the esplanade in front of the premises with ample glass-like living rooms, to welcome the dinner guests.